Thursday, December 31, 2009

Decade Maifesto



So here we stand at the precipice of another..decade? Holy crap, how does time fly by so quickly? Was it not just yesterday that I was watching the Atlanta Peach drop and looking excitedly towards life in my still-new city? No, 3653 days have passed since that moment. And life has taken many interesting turns since that night. In my writings from 12/31/99, I looked hopefully towards the next adventure, to pursuing Lynn and finding my path in life. Optimism- so unlike me, even then. But I wasn't far off, though it would take some time to get there. The love of my life was still 4 years away at that point, and I would go through no less than 3 careers before finding my rightful place in sports.

So what differentiated the 00's from the 90's? A sense of finally starting to find take the right path. Turmoil and uncertainty marked the previous decade, and while that did not completely disappear (for example, what area are we going to finally settle down for good??), the angst has disappeared.

And I can thank Staci for much of that. Most certainly the best thing that has happened to me in ANY decade, my beautiful wife is my rock. Moving to DC was certainly a mixed bag, but while I am certain we would have found each other anywhere, meeting in a Kingstowne bar was perfection.

It has been a joy watching the little people grow up, none more than my 2 wonderful daughters. Abby is a pure joy to see as she approaches teen-dom. She is a beautiful, intelligent, and talented young woman. My brothers, sisters & nephews have also become young adults, which makes me feel old and young simultaneously. And to all my family, esp. my Dad and Mary, who have been through more with me than anyone on the planet.

Close friends, as was the case ten years ago, remain the anchor of my life. I'm so thankful for the people who have been there for the good and bad, who have been a part of my life since I was young. And the many more friends that I have met these last ten years who have become integral to my life. And Facebook has brought so many lost friends back to the fold. "No man is a failure who has friends!"

So there it is- 10 years in a tiny snapshot. Ten years from now, where will my life be? Wherever it is, I hope it's with the same wonderful people. Happy New Year to all!

2 comments:

Correy Kenney said...

Wow bro that was pretty deep, u could probably write novels if u really wanted to

Bill said...

Thanks bro!

This blog approved by Fred McGriff

This blog approved by Fred McGriff