Tuesday, April 15, 2008

42



"Thinking about the things that happened, I don't know any other ball player would could have done what he (Jackie Robinson) did. To be able to hit with everybody yelling at him. He had to block all that out, block out everything but this ball that is coming in at a hundred miles an hour and he's got a split second to make up his mind if it's in or out or down or coming at his head, a split second to swing. To do what he did has got to be the most tremendous thing I've ever seen in sports." -Dodgers Captain Pee Wee Reese

"Life is not a spectator sport. If you're going to spend your whole life in the grandstand just watching what goes on, in my opinion you're wasting your life." -Jackie Robinson

"I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being." -Jackie Robinson


I remember the first time I heard the name Jackie Robinson. Walking through my school library when I was 6, I was thrilled to find a book about the Dodgers. Already a huge Dodgers fan, I was intrigued to read about a man called Jackie who once played for my beloved team. I was amazed at what I read, and bugged my Dad with question after question to tell me more. I never looked back, and with all the cynicism that comes with getting older, I still stand in awe of number 42.

With the 61st anniversary of Jackie becoming the first African-American baseball player in modern times being today, it is only right to remember a man who did as much for racial relations in the 20th century as anyone. While there were black players who were better players than Jackie at the time (Josh Gibson, Satchel Paige, Cool Papa Bell), it is inarguable that no one could have handled the pressure that came with that onus. He was harrassed, spiked, had profanities and items thrown at him. Dixie Walker and other Southern teammates demanded trades not only out of racism, but because they feared their "people" would call for their heads for taking the field with a black man.

Yet Jackie persevered, and then some. The first Rookie of the Year, the 1949 MVP, a 1955 World Champ, and a 6-time All Star in a 10 year career, Jackie came into his own as a player quickly, never batted an eye while taking abuse, and eventually won even the most racist people over. He opened doors for everyone from Elston Howard, Willie Mays, and Hank Aaron to Ken Griffey Jr, Frank Thomas, and Derek Jeter. But his impact, of course, goes well beyond baseball. After his career, Jackie took center stage with the likes of Martin Luther King in the Civil Rights movement. Jackie died much too young, at age 53 in 1972. But his impact can be measured among the greatest Americans who have ever lived.

3 comments:

Ian O'hEnas said...

Definately was one of the historical figures of this nation!

I do like the fact that #42 has been retired from EVERY baseball team... It is the only retired Blue Jays number, for example.

The Old Guy said...

Well said. To put the importance of the timing of this into context, consider that it would be eight years before Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on the bus.

Anonymous said...

Well said baby.

This blog approved by Fred McGriff

This blog approved by Fred McGriff