Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Heaven Is..



...watching your favorite team in your favorite season 20 years after the last time you saw the games. In one of the happiest moments in recent memory, the newly-released 1988 Dodgers DVD set arrived yesterday. The set includes 2 of the NLCS games against the Mets and all 5 World Series games against the A's. All games are uncut and in their entirety. I was watching Game 4 of the NLCS last night, and it's amazing what comes back to you. For example:

- I still hate John Tudor(acquired by trading my favorite player Pedro Guererro, and he STUNK!)
- The big sluggers of the day wouldn't even be a middle infielder in the Steroids Era (Gibson looks tiny, and Strawberry is like string bean). Not stating any new revelation here, just still amazes me.
- Even as a traditionalist, I found myself missing the constant score in the upper corner that's commonplace today.
- Dutch Rennert calling emphatic strikes (STEEEERIKKKKE TWOOOOOOO!) is missed in today's game.
- Tim McCarver was, is, and ever shall be the most annoying commentator in the history of sport. Al Michaels and Jim Palmer seemed amazed at times at what a douche this guy was. Maybe that's why neither does baseball anymore.

All in all, a great walk down Memory lane, with about 24 more hours of watching to go!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happiest times in recent memory, huh? I hope you meant besides our wedding...If you're are comparing a DVD to our wedding day we have to serious reexamine this whole thing :)

Bill said...

Ask me in 2028. :)

The Old Guy said...

'88? How old was I then, 4? Wow that is a long time ago, it makes 2006 seem like yesterday. I am guessing a playoff series win would probably be a nice step.

Ian O'hEnas said...

Pinki, I read that and thought the same thing too - Wedding day, birth of a neice, etc...

We get to see where the BK's priorities are! HE HE

Bill said...

ONE of the happiest days- ONE!! Those other things were good too- :)

This blog approved by Fred McGriff

This blog approved by Fred McGriff