Friday, May 08, 2009

Jinx'ed!



Most people believe in some sort of jinx. My belief is that you don't mention how good the weather is if you're trying to avoid rain, you don't say how little traffic there is when you are on a long road trip, and you never mention how well your team is doing if you want them to continue to do so. I broke my own rule yesterday, and I paid dearly.

I had avoided talking about the Dodgers' great first month, record-breaking home start, or anything about them, for fear of making something go wrong. Until yesterday, when I mentioned the 13-0 home start on this very blog. I figured with a 6.5 game lead, the worst that could happen is they would lose a few games. Within 2 hours of my post, Manny Ramirez was suspended for 50 games for violating MLB drug policy. Do I think this is a death knell for LA? Maybe not, but it doesn't help matters. And it's all because I showed some optimism. Which is why pessimism is always the way to go.

2 comments:

Staci Kenney said...

Now that you have learned you lesson, maybe you'll be a little less harsh to me next time I comment on what good time we are making in the car :)

Fun Dad said...

it happens to the best of us. "boy this game is just flying by"
five minutes later, free baseball.

This blog approved by Fred McGriff

This blog approved by Fred McGriff