Monday, August 11, 2008

Olympic Fever- Catch It!



A sleepless night last night (I've been awake since 2:30 AM) led to something good for once. Once I realized that I was not getting back to sleep, I started flipping through NBC's kajillion channels of Olympic coverage. Some of what I saw:

- US Women's Gymnastics qualifying 2nd with some great moves.
- US Men's Swimming Relay as Michaal Phelps worked his way to a 2nd gold already with a dramatic finish.
- Long distance scull race.

OK, so they weren't all winners. But I can't remember the last time I watched so much Olympics in one sitting. '96 Atlanta, maybe? And now I can't wait to see some more. The Olympics certainly is not what it was back in the day, when we hated Russia and vice versa. In fact, that's all sports talk has mentioned today (but at least it's not Brett Favre coverage). I can remember 1984 Los Angeles like it was yesterday, you couldn't tear me away.

But there are good storylines, great athletes, and hopefully many more wins for the US. And instead of just watching baseball, men's basketball, and women's volleyball, I might sit around and check out a good archery match.

For the take of the man who rooted for the USSR in the 1980 Hockey game, go here.

2 comments:

Ian O'hEnas said...

GREAT! I think it is very important to have these games... It will bring people of many different backgrounds together without the politics of it all...

Too bad Bushie cannot wave our flag correctly.

The Old Guy said...

The first Olympics I remember watching was the 1992 Barcelona games when I was 5 or 6. But that hammer & sickle was tough...

This blog approved by Fred McGriff

This blog approved by Fred McGriff