Sunday, October 25, 2009

Oughts In Review- 2000



Today I begin a 10-week series on the decade that is coming to an end. Most of my focus will be on music, but will include other pop-culture, sports, and news as it is relevant to me. The music portion will include some of my top hits from that year, and will culminate in a massive "Top 200 Hits of The Oughts" on New Years Eve. So without further ado, here is 2000:

News:
The year started with the ridiculousness that was Y2K, or the lack of Y2K. Planes were supposed to fall out of the sky, life as we knew would end. Yeah, not so much. I started my first full year in ATL watching the Peach drop. Then there was the "hanging chad" election. Bush "beats" Gore, thanks to brother Jed, and country goes into 8-year tailspin.

Sports:
The down side: my teams sucked. Dodgers finished 11 games out, as Fox continued to ruin a proud franchise that still shows its effects today. The Cowboys went 5-11, and the Dave Campo era was in full disarray.
The up side: Location, location, location. Including the NLCS the previous fall, my new hometown hosted one of the most exciting Super Bowls in history (Rams 23, Titans 16) & the MLB All-Star Game, which I went to and also volunteered for. My first foray into working in baseball.

TV/Movies:
Who Wants To Be a Millionaire, Friends, Family Guy, West Wing
Meet The Parents, Castaway, Almost Famous, Scream 3, Scary Movie

Music: (alphabetical, not ranked)
Aaliyah- Try Again
Backstreet Boys- The One
BBMak- Back Here
Big Tymers- Get Your Roll On
Billy Joel- 2000 Years
Britney Spears- Oops I Did It Again
Creed- What If
Creed- With Arms Wide Open
DMX- Party Up
Eminem- The Real Slim Shady
Everclear- Wonderful
Filter- Take a Picture
Foo Fighters- Next Year
Fuel- Hemorrhage (In My Hands)
Garth Brooks- Lost In You
Jay-Z- Big Pimpin'
Lee Ann Womack- I Hope You Dance
Lonestar- Amazed
Matchbox 20- If You're Gone
Matchbox 20- Bent
Papa Roach- Last Resort
Red Hot Chili Peppers- Otherside
Sister Hazel- Change Your Mind
Splendor- I Think God Can Explain
Stone Temple Pilots- Sour Girl
Stone Temple Pilots- Atlanta
Vertical Horizon- Everything You Want
Vertical Horizon- Best I Ever Had
3 Doors Down- Kryptonite
9 Days- Story of a Girl

3 comments:

Staci Kenney said...

You are truly a savant baby. BTW, Lost in you wasn't Garth Brooks, it was his alter ego Christ Gaines :P

Fun Dad said...

chris gaines.... "oh i hope it's a ballad.."

Bill said...

Ha ha ha Paul! And I shall never call Garth's split personality by that other name.

This blog approved by Fred McGriff

This blog approved by Fred McGriff