Thursday, October 08, 2009

The Long Wait



Our new dog Willie came home last night. It's been a long wait in a couple of ways. I've wanted a dog since I was a kid, and after 36 years, i was finally going to get that opportunity. Also, Staci & I have wanted to get a dog practically since we moved in together. We were always held back by something- Staci being in school, my crazy landlord who was allergic to dogs, us moving back and forth to PA, and so on. When my season ended, it was finally the right time. So after searching through dozens of postings on many different shelters, we found Willie. He seemed perfect for our needs- low-key, older (ie trained and not hyper), and just the right size for our small apartment.

After visiting him on Saturday, we were able to finally get him yesterday. And after one day, I've got to say so far, so good. I really have only 2 "musts" for a dog. First, he can't be a beggar. I can't stand having a dog in my face when I am trying to eat, especially when their food is more expensive than mine! As we sat down for dinner last night, Willie barely looked up from his new favorite spot on the floor to sniff the aroma. Test 1: passed! My second thing is that my being awoken by said dog should be kept to a minimum. I have so many sleeping disorders, that I don't need anything adding to that. Aside from needing to go out at 2:30 AM, Willie did remarkably well, especially for a first night in a new home. He slept on the floor next to the couch, and while he woke up every time I moved, he would go right back to sleep. Test 2: passed!

So far, so good for Willie. I am curious/worried how his first day alone will be with both of us at work, but I am sure he will be fine. I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship.

4 comments:

Fun Dad said...

Congrats again man! It's great to have that companion. Long time coming for you though! I've had one ever since I was born.

Mari said...

Aw! Maybe you guys can help us with Misty's begging problem. Damn dog!
I am so happy for you guys-you will be great pooch parents...

Ian O'hEnas said...

Welcome to the world of puppy parenthood! Just wait for flea treatments, vitamins, tooth cleaning, heartworm prevention, etc...

And he has that very cute confused look on his face - now what are THESE bipeds going to do to me!

Staci Kenney said...

Funny story about that look on his face, Ian. Bill took that picture with his cell phone camera. When Bill took out the phone to take the picture Willie backed away from it and Bill was chasing him in circles trying to get the picture. He was scared of Bill's cell phone! The picture we finally got was when he finally laid down after bill chasing him in circles :)He has some very random fears but other than that, he's a great dog!

This blog approved by Fred McGriff

This blog approved by Fred McGriff