Thursday, July 03, 2008

Happy 4th (A Day Early)



It's hard to believe 2 years have passed since my July 4th proposal to Staci at RFK Stadium. The reason I chose that date was simple to me and a year in the making. Staci and I had discovered early on in our relationship that we both had horrendous break-ups on this holiday (her with EJ, mine with Kim) that had rendered this once-loved holiday a dreaded date. We made a pact to try and make the 4th a fun day again. In 2005, on our very first baseball road trip, we went to Cleveland to see the Indians play the Tigers. As we sat there, enjoying the beginning of our odyssey together, I realized that we needed to make the 4th of July a day to always remember. And so began the year-long planning that came to fruition in Washington DC among family and friends. I kept the secret so close to the vest that no one knew except Mary, who I had told so that she could photograph the occasion.

2 years later, we are happily married and I could not ask for a better wife. And as I look forward to 3 1/2 days off with friends, baseball, and of course, my wife, I can say that my plan was brilliant- a holiday was saved for 2 people, and a beautiful life was begun.

2 comments:

Staci Kenney said...

You are so sweet baby. Love you.

Ian O'hEnas said...

Sorry - some of us were away for the long weekend! HA!

I think Screech was going to get ready to Hit BK for standing between him and his bride to be!

Did you get the Screech suit, BK?

This blog approved by Fred McGriff

This blog approved by Fred McGriff