Friday, June 13, 2008

BK35- Greatest Games



The countdown to 35 continues with the greatest baseball games I have been at. Some are for their historic significance, most are for their importance in my life. In chronological order:

June 10, 1979- Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia- Braves 10, Phillies 3

My first game, got to see 2 Hall-of-Famers pitch. Great way to start an obsession. I covered this in detail last year.

July 11, 1982- Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia- Phillies 4, Dodgers 3

First time I got to see the Dodgers, with Pedro Guererro (above), Ron Cey, Steve Sax, et al. Grandma couldn't believe that a 8-year old knew every player's name and screamed at each of them.

August 4, 1985- Yankee Stadium, New York- White Sox 4, Yankees 1

The only huge milestone game I have attended- Tom Seaver got his 300th win that day. Also Phil Rizzuto Day, only time I saw a number retired.

August 28, 1988- Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia- Dodgers 5, Phillies 0

I am sure i am the only one at this point who knew the Dodgers were on their way to the World Championship. Less than 2 months later, I would be proven right.

October 19, 1999- Turner Field, Atlanta- Braves 10, Mets 9 (11 innings)

Only living in Atlanta for 2 days at this point, I got to see Game 6 of the NLCS, and a great one at that. Piazza homered and Hershiser pitched (unfortunately both for the Mets). Still the only playoff game I have been to.

July 11, 2000- Turner Field, Atlanta- American League 6, National League 3

All Star Game! Not only did I get to work at the FanFest this year, but got to enjoy the game as well.

April 2, 2002- Dodger Stadium, LA- Giants 9, Dodgers 2

First time in Dodger Stadium and I was walking on air. I met Odalis Perez and sat in the infamous rowdy bleachers.

September 11, 2002- Turner Field, Atlanta- Mets 5, Braves 0

On the year anniversary of the horrible events of 9/11, It was the most patriotic game I have ever attended. NYFD was in attendance, it was just a surreal event.

March 9, 2003- Holman Stadium, Vero Beach, FL- Dodgers v. Expos

Got to Dodgertown, and it was even more incredible than the first time in Dodger Stadium. Even more meaning now that they've left.

September 11, 2004- Camden Yards, Baltimore- Yankees 5, Orioles 2

Staci and my first game together. WHo knew that 4 years later we'd have been to 20 parks together on our way to all 30?

April 14, 2005- RFK Stadium, DC- Nationals 5, Diamondbacks 3

First game in DC in 34 years, and the atmosphere was electric. It began a magical 3 months where the Nats were really good.

July 4, 2006- RFK Stadium, DC- Nats 6, Marlins 4

Ryan Zimmerman hits a walk-off homerun to win the game! And...oh yeah, got engaged to my beautiful wife. :)

April 9, 2007- Pfitzner Stadium, Woodbridge, VA- Avalanche 8, P-Nats 0

My first game working in baseball. A feeling that was 20 years in the making.

August 31, 2007- Pfitzner Stadium, Woodbridge, VA- P-Nats 4, Hillcats 0

P-Nats win 11th in a row to end the home season, come up just short of a rush to the playoffs. The beginning of our wedding weekend brought 10 of our family down to the game.

3 comments:

Ian O'hEnas said...

What the blue jays didn't make the list??? Toronto didn't make the list...

ARGH! You don't know good baseball!

Staci Kenney said...

Good picks baby. I'm glad the game we got engaged at eked its way on your list :)

The Old Guy said...

What about the time you saw the Georgia Peach spike Nap Lajoie?

This blog approved by Fred McGriff

This blog approved by Fred McGriff