Monday, July 11, 2011

Ballpark #8- Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, CA



Stadium Opened: 1962
Team: Los Angeles Dodgers
1st Visit: 4/1/02
Last Visit: 9/16/07
# Games: 6
Food: 8/10
Stadium: 10/10
Important Games Seen:
My 1st home Dodgers game, my 1st Opening Day


So few things in life live up to lofty expectations- you build things up in your mind and are sure to be disappointed. My 1st visit to Dodger Stadium was a major exception to the rule. It took me 29 years to get there, and it was the first time I had seen one of my favorite teams in their home stadium. It was a dream come true, and one of the top 3 highlights of my sports fan-dom.

My first visit to LA was for Opening Day 2002. I spent 6 days there and went to 5 games. While the Dodgers stunk up the joint, going 2-3, I had a blast. I purposely sat in different areas of the stadium for each game, and came to discover that there is not a bad seat in the place. And for the 2nd-oldest National League ballpark (only Wrigley is older), Dodger Stadium is surprisingly as modern as the newest parks. I went back in 2007 as part of our honeymoon, and it was still a treat.

The food is above average, with the world-famous Dodger Dogs leading the way. One suggestion- get the grilled as opposed to the steamed. Though I haven't tried it, the all-you-can-eat section comes highly recommended as one of the better buffets in the game.

Dodger fans get a bad rap for being late and leaving early, but I would put them up with Chicago and St Louis as the most enthusiastic and knowledgeable fans in the majors. It's harder to find than you would think- so many place, you'll see too many fans not aware of rules, strike zones, or the name of the 5th guy coming out of the bullpen. That's not the case in LA.

If you only see 5 ballparks in your life, Dodger Stadium should be one of them. A good time in every way.



Meeting Dodger great Don Newcombe

Staci & I on our honeymoon- 9/2007

Staci thinking Blue

Walking up to Dodger Stadium for the 1st time- Opening Day 2002

Under the lights in 2002

View from the top

No comments:

This blog approved by Fred McGriff

This blog approved by Fred McGriff