Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Ballpark #7- Tropicana Field, Tampa, FL



Stadium Opened: 1998
Team: Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays
1st Visit: 5/27/01
Last Visit: 5/27/01
# Games: 1
Food: N/A
Stadium: 3/10
Important Games Seen:
My 1st domed stadium


When people ask me what my favorite stadiums are, it is difficult for me to say- beauty, sentimentality, amenities, etc, all play a role and make me change my mind on a regular basis. There is no such difficulty when asked about my least favorite MLB park- it is the home of the D-Rays, Tropicana Field.

What is so bad? It's not location- based right on the Atlantic Ocean, it is in one of the most picturesque areas of Tampa. But the moment you walk in, it is like standing inside a tuna can. It is drab with no personality. Which is strange, because when Tropicana was built in the early 90s, it was used as the jewel to attract unhappy teams. The Thunderdome, as it was known (even the name was awesome!), almost had the Chicago White Sox and San Francisco Giants moving to the Sunshine State. So what happened? Tampa's stadium got surpassed by the retro-stadium trend and looked 25 years old when they finally got their team (the expansion Devil Rays in '98).

My only trip to Tampa was back in 2001. My roommate Mel and I decided to take a road trip for Memorial Day down to Tampa. I was happy to go to my 4th MLB park, until I actually got there. I look forward to going back when their new ballpark opens in the next couple years- but not before then.




1 comment:

Mari said...

Why on earth do they have a top on the stadium? it's FL for god's sakes!

This blog approved by Fred McGriff

This blog approved by Fred McGriff