Thursday, March 19, 2009

My 1st Career Day

I spent my entire morning at Weems Elementary School, where I spoke at their Career Day. I only found about this two days ago, and I cannot recall the last time I felt so nervous. I am fine with public speaking, when I have a speech in front of me. Flying mostly by the seat of my pants- not my forte. But it went well, and the 4th graders that I was talking to seemed mostly interested in what I had to say. But when I opened it up for them to ask questions, I got some very interesting ones:

- "Does Uncle Slam sweat alot when he dances?"
- "Do you get to eat alot of hot dogs at work?"
- "Who brings water to the players when they're thirsty?"
- "Do you play on the team?" (my favorite)

And when I handed out reading bookmarks, where if they read 4 books they get 2 free tickets:
- "Do comic books count?"
- "If I read 10 books, can I get 5 tickets?"
- "Can I read the same book 4 times?"

But, there were some good questions and while the overall knowledge of baseball was lacking, there were a couple of kids who really knew alot and reminded me of a ten year old Billy that would have loved meeting someone in baseball.

3 comments:

Staci Kenney said...

I told you you would be fine. Glad you had fun. I still say you should come talk at Key. You'd think those kids were a piece of cake after that :)

Ian O'hEnas said...

Aww that's cute!

They were intent on what you had to say because you eat so many hot-dogs at work!

(therefore you smell like hotdogs)

Ian O'hEnas said...

Aww!!! That is great! Kids are so funny!

This blog approved by Fred McGriff

This blog approved by Fred McGriff