Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sigh...



Well, here we are again. Another big star, another steroid scandal. And this one is big, folks. The one who was going to save us from the last 15+ years of tainted numbers is now one of the tainted. The one who would save us from Big Head Bonds and the ** home runs will now face the same scrutiny and disdain. A-Rod, the very divisive "savior" has fallen from his perch, and now no one is left that can save us from the fake numbers of Clemens, Caminiti, Canseco, etc, etc.

At least, A-Rod admitted his fault, albeit after getting caught. And he did seem somewhat sincere, given the circumstances. But he will never be looked at the same, nor should he be.

So where this leave us? Nowhere good. There are no names left that can really shock us, and perhaps more importantly, no one who is a legitimate threat to all the illegitimate records. Albert Pujols? Perhaps someday, but whispers have surrounded him as well.

So I propose what I have in the past- erase all numbers for all players who were or are cheaters. Wipe off Clemens from '98-'07, Bonds '99-'07, Mcgwire ?-'01, et al. Of course, it will never happen, but something has to be done to correct this era. It just gets sadder and sadder.

For my wife's take, see here.

1 comment:

Fun Dad said...

I agree with you on this, I wouldn't be surprised by any names from here on out.

but I must say that you don't get all of the credit for the tarp count pull, I've been curious how many occur in one year since I started pulling in 05, but I just happened to forget about it until I saw it on you're blog last season. you get about 60 % of the credit.

This blog approved by Fred McGriff

This blog approved by Fred McGriff