Monday, December 31, 2007

The Year That Was Going, Going...


"And surely you’ll buy your pint cup !
And surely I’ll buy mine !
And we'll take a cup o’ kindness yet,
for auld lang syne."


Here we are at the end of yet another year, a time for remembrance and a chance to look forward to a better year ahead. Financial problems aside, it will be hard to top the year of Ought-7. Let's take a look at some of the highlights:

Jan. 1: I give my notice at EFI with no real idea of what I am going to do. My best leap of faith EVER.

Feb. 13: 13 years after first looking for a job in this field, I finally begin a career in baseball, joining the Potomac Nationals. Despite very low pay and very long hours, I could not have made a better decision. It's a decision I might not have made without Staci's support and urging. No wonder I married her. Speaking of...

Sept. 2: The big day is finally here, as Staci and I get married on a baseball field in front of our loved ones. It's a day that I think everyone will remember as one of the funnest weddings they have ever attended.

Sept. 23: Two emotional goodbyes, as we attend the final baseball game ever at DC's RFK Stadium, and later pack up and move from Virginia to Quakertown, PA. It was most definitely past due getting out of Northern Virginia, but between meeting and marrying my wife there, and starting my baseball career there, there will always be a significant part of my life that took place in NoVa.

Dec. 12: I finally get my second job in baseball with the Wilmington Blue Rocks. A nicer stadium aside, my hope is that I can create the same type of great memories I got with the P-Nats.

On a baseball note, I added 4 more Major League stadiums(the 2 Chicagos, San Diego & Anaheim), plus got to see Dodger Stadium again. Over 100 baseball games attended this year between Minors and Majors- not too shabby.

2007, for all of its faults, was a life-defining year for me, the kind of year that you look back on as a turning point in this wild ride of life (much like 1997 and 1987- must be Lucky Sevens..). So raise a glass- here's to hoping that you had as memorable a year, and wishing that Ought-eight is a healthy and fruitful year for all. Salut!

2 comments:

Ian O'hEnas said...

Great year - I thought it was still 2004 though!

Unknown said...

Why was 1987 such a year? (Please tell me it's not something major I should be remembering in my old age! HEE HEE)

This blog approved by Fred McGriff

This blog approved by Fred McGriff