Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Ballpark #16- Jacobs Field, Cleveland, OH


Stadium Opened: 1994
Team: Cleveland Indians
1st Visit: 7/4/05
Last Visit: 9/25/09
# Games: 2
Food: 8/10
Stadium: 9/10
Important Games Seen:
Justin Verlander's 2nd-ever MLB start (7/4/05), The 1st of Staci's & my July 4th game tradition (7/4/05)

Cleveland Rocks! That is my feeling about Jacobs Field, 7 years after our 1st visit there. So many little things can lead to a favorable impression of a place, and it's all about your personal experience. It was the 1st stop on Staci's and my 1st real baseball road trip, and it was the place that I realised how/when I was going to ask Staci to marry me (4th if July in a ballpark). The game we saw was Justin Verlander's 2nd start in the bigs, and you can see that he was going to be special. We even got a first pitch from Hall of Famer Bob Feller.

Then there was the ballpark itself- I loved it from the second I saw it. I love the outer facacde, the visiblity lines from anywhere in the park, the fantastic scoreboard. It also has a great little Hall of Fame called Heritage Park, where they celebrate over 100 years of Cleveland baseball. The Jake, as it's still affectionately called, even with the new corporate-name-that-shall-not-be-mentioned, is fan-friendly and maintains its beauty 18 years after its opening. Even outside the stadium is bustling, with bars and restaurants to go to before or after the game.

Jacobs Field remains in my top 5 MLB stadiums to this day, and I was happy to go back and see it in 2009. There may not be much else to bring you to Cleveland, but the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Jacobs Field will always be enough reason for me.

Bob Feller statue outside the stadium

The awesome double-video board

Skyline

Staci & I 2005

One of the plaques in Heritage Park

2 comments:

Mari said...

Thats great Bill! Didnt realize Cleveland was u and Staci's first baseball roadtrip! BTW do you have a log of dates or do you remember them in your head? If you do, that is eerily impressive! :)

Bill said...

Thanks! I have a log, but have most memorized, cause I'm a weirdo! :)

This blog approved by Fred McGriff

This blog approved by Fred McGriff