Friday, March 19, 2010

My First Quotable Movie



I watched the 2nd of 7 Police Academy movies tonight, for the first time in many years. I always remembered the 2nd movie as my favorite of the "Police Academy" series, and I think I now know why. This was my first "quotable" movie. Movies that would make me laugh are great, but being able to quote dozens of funny lines elevate it to "classic" status. Take any of my top 20 comedies of all time (Tommy Boy, Anchorman, Wedding Crashers, to name a few), you will find an unending supply of one-liners and jokes that never get old to me. What a pleasant surprise for me as I started quoting lines in my head tonight just before they happened on-screen. To name a few:

Lt Mauser: You're not playing with a full-deck, are you?
Proctor: Oh, no sir, I don't play cards.

Zed: Thank you very much!

Zed: I'm trying to watch "Family Affair"! Damn, it's a rerun!

Mahoney:
You have the right to sing the blues. You have the right to cable TV.

Jones (mimicking bad Chinese dubbed films): You wanna fight? Fight me!

Zed: That didn't hurt. That didn't hurt. That hurt.

Hmm..so the lines weren't as funny as they were when I was 12. But it started me on the path to comedy nirvana, and made me realize the hilarity in repetition. And Bobcat Goldthwait (as Zed) was hilarious! Really!

No comments:

This blog approved by Fred McGriff

This blog approved by Fred McGriff