Wednesday, October 08, 2008

'83 Revisited



It's hard to imagine a significant rivalry for teams that are 3000 miles apart. But once upon a time, the Dodgers and the Phillies were that rivalry, which they will renew in the NLCS tomorrow. This will be the fourth time these two team have faced each other for a chance to go to the World Series, but the first time in 25 years.

The first two times, in 1977 and 1978, LA and Philly were unquestionably the two best NL teams of the late '70's. And both times, the Dodgers came out on top. Unfortunately, those aren't the ones I can recall.

In 1983, my love for the Dodgers continued to grow. A World Series in '81 and a near-miss in '82, the '83 Dodgers looked like the real deal. A great pitching staff with Fernando Valenzuela (above), Rick Honeycutt, and Jerry Reuss; a bullpen with Tom Niedenfuer (2 years before the meltdown); and a starting lineup that included Pedro Guerrero, Steve Sax and Dusty Baker. The Phillies were solid as well, with the likes of Steve Carlton, Mike Schmidt and Juan Samuel. But this was the Dodgers to lose. They had beaten the Phils 11 out of 12 times during the regular season.

Unfortunately, the Phils came to play. Except for a great win by Fernando, the Dodgers were completely dominated and lost in 4 games. I can remember listening to the games on the radio, as we were moving at the time and didn't have cable. It was brutal, as I had become spoiled into thinking my team would always win. 25 years later, the Dodgers have let me down more times than I can count. 20 years between playoff victories, for one. Now, for at least 4 games, I can pretend I am 10 again, with optimism that my Dodgers can beat the Phillies. At the very least, I can watch in on TV this time.

No comments:

This blog approved by Fred McGriff

This blog approved by Fred McGriff